Comment are off
DOs and DON’Ts in Cambodia
Here are DOs and DON’Ts in Cambodia. You must read this to understand more about Cambodian society. It is very important for you to travel Cambodia.
- The Cambodia word for hello is ‘Sour Sdey’ and normally you should say it with smile.
- Sam Peah is a type of greeting by pressing palms together. It acceptable for men to shake hands as well.
- It will embarrass your hosts if you touch or show affection in public
- Never touch someone’s head because it is considered as impoliteness.
- Cambodia people speak softly, gently and avoid confrontation. Please do not raise your voice or shout.
- Cambodia people appreciate clean and well-dressed visitors.
- Please take your shoes off before enter someone’s home.
- Bathing nude in public is impolite
- Never, ever step over someone in your path when they are seated.
- Hugging and kissing in public is impolite. Discretion is a must.
- Ask someone first before taking photo of them.
- Please do not gift to beggars. It is like encouraging begging. You should give it to charity or organization.
- Try to help local business and Cambodia farmers by buying and eating local food.
- While in temples and when taking photo, lease show respect and dress nicely
- There are many sacred items and places in Cambodia. Please do not enter these places without permission or touch the items
- Women should not touch the monk or his robes.
- Do not litter. If possible, you may pick the rubbish up to give an example to Cambodia people to keep their country clean.
- Do not sell wildlife or meat. It is illegal.
- Do not buy antique Buddha or other sacred items. Support local craftsmen instead.
- Drug usage is illegal in Cambodia.
- Sex tourism and child sex are illegal.
- Do not drink tapped water. Pure drinking water is recommended.
- Mosquito repellent is needed.
- Bring the hat and sun protection cream.
- In summer, you may wear light clothes. In the winter, you may wear sweater. And prepare the umbrella or rain coat in rainy season.